Friday, May 6, 2011

Job's Intervention for His Friends

Job’s Intervention for His Friends
The entire book of Job consists of three of Job’s so-called friends attempting to advise Job with their long drawn out words of insight and wisdom. Finally, God intervenes in the situation and speaks to the three so-called friends, making it clear that they have not spoken the truth concerning Job. God then said he will have Job pray for them; and for Job’s sake, he will accept it. It appears that, by putting the three friends' ability to be forgiven in the hands and at the mercy of Job, God avenges Job.

“And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job. So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job.

And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.” (Job 42:7-10)


Job's persistence, patience and trust in God through much suffering were greatly rewarded in the end. He was given double the blessings he'd had before. This should encourage us all to not give up. Jesus promised in Luke 18 that our Father would swiftly avenge us.
"And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (Luke 18:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment